You’re packing all of your earthly belongings onto a huge commercial vehicle, moving them across the country assisted by a big burly moving crew, and paying a considerable amount of money for it. Now, what could go wrong with that? That’s a rhetorical question; answers may vary.
However, the focus here is on what could you can do to make “that” go as smoothly as possible. So, to help you out, here are a few tips on how you can make your move across country productive, efficient, and a little more affordable.
10 Tip Checklist for Moving Across Country
Ready, set, go? Not so fast! Before you put that pedal to the medal, you’ll want to make sure there are no unanticipated bumps in the road!
- Lighten up – When you hire a moving company, the heavier the load you’re carrying, the lighter your wallet will be when you get to your destination. Keep costs down and effort to a minimum by donating items, selling them, or recycling them.
- Home team rules – Build your family team spirit and make your job easier by asking your spouse and kids for help. Remember, kids are packers, too! Just make sure to give them some basic instructions before they start. Non-essentials items go first (schoolbooks are by no means non-essentials), heavy items go on the bottom, and fragile items belong on the top.
- Get quotes from at least three moving companies – Different companies offer different services and pricing options vary. Choose the one that best suits your needs and works within your budget.
- Make sure your cross-country moving company is licensed and insured – Your best defense against rogue movers is to recognize them before they have your belongings. When a company is not licensed and insured, recognize that as a red flag. To check if a moving company is licensed, look up its USDOT (U.S. Department of Transportation) number on the FMCSA’s (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) database. Insured moving companies should be able to provide you with written documentation.
- Look up customer reviews and moving company ratings – To get the good, the bad, and the ugly about your moving company, read the reviews and check out moving company ratings. Affiliations with American Moving and Storage Company (AMSA) are good, official complaints from the FMSCA are bad, and scathing customer reviews are downright ugly. Also, check out the company’s Better Business Bureau rating to get an idea of the company’s track record.
- Consider your insurance options – Not so fun fact about moving insurance: basic liability covers only 60 cents per pound for each item. To put that into perspective, if your $500 tablet gets damaged during the move, that’s 60 cents toward buying a new one. A happier fact about moving is that most companies do offer Full Value Protection. This will hold the company accountable for the full cash value of your belongings, although there is an extra fee for this. If you have many lightweight, valuable items, you may want to discuss Full Value Protection with your moving company.
- Document the Conditions of Your Items – Put your phone to practical use by taking photos or videos of your items as you’re packing them up. In the best-case scenario, they’ll look exactly as they do in the photos when they get to your destination. In the worst scenario, you’ll have something to refer to when you’re filing a claim.
- Bring Valuable and Important Paperwork with You – Get your money belts, waist wallets, and neck pouches ready. Jewelry, valuables, and important documentation should be kept separate from the rest of your belongings, and should all be carried with you when you’re moving across the country.
- Know Before You Go – A word to the wise: make travel arrangements in advance. Start researching travel details and scheduling at least a month before the big move.
- Pack A Bag of Essentials – Whether it be snacks, medicines, diapers, or an audiobook copy of “Calming Your Anxious Mind,” there are certain essentials that you’ll want close within your reach during your move. For a smooth ride, set them aside and pack them in a separate bag before setting out.
And if you found our tips on moving across country helpful, grab our moving checklist. See how helpful we can be on your next long-distance move by checking out our website at…https://marathonmoving.com
Request our free rate quote?? You let us know what you need, and our reliable movers will give you our best.