Moving Calendar Checklist & Timeline
Movers Checklist PDF – Printable Moving Checklist
Moving Calendar – a Moving Timeline Checklist
Use our calendar to help keep your move on track.DOWNLOAD NOW!
6-8 Weeks Prior to Your Move
- Clean out basement, attic, garage, and closets.
- Determine items to keep, discard, donate, or sell.
- Make arrangements for a tag sale for approximately 1 month prior to your move (this will allow time to donate or discard unsold items).
- Contact moving companies to obtain quotes for your move.
4-6 Weeks Prior to Your Move
- Send furniture, drapes, carpets for cleaning or repair.
- Research moving companies you are considering with the Massachusetts DTE (licensing board for MA moving companies), through company-provided references, and the BBB.
- Do not be afraid to request proofs of insurance from companies you are considering. Hiring an uninsured mover can leave you with unpaid damage claims, or you can be found liable for property damage and or personal injury claims.
- Select a moving company and confirm your moving date.
- Order packing supplies and arrange for their delivery.
- Secure elevators, loading docks, or parking permits if necessary.
1 Month Prior to Your Move
- Begin packing seldom used items such as china, holiday decorations and storage areas.
- File a change of address form with Post Office.
- Contact charities to arrange pickup of items to be donated.
- Notify utility companies and arrange for transfer of services.
- Notify all banks, insurance companies, brokerage houses, service providers and creditors of address change.
2 Weeks Prior to Your Move
- Begin packing all but essential items.
- Finalize closing times with real estate attorney or mortgage company.
- Organize all bills, stocks, insurance policies and bank account statements.
- Make special arrangements for children and pets on moving day.
- If not moving locally, obtain all medical, dental and veterinarian records.
1 Week Prior to Your Move
- Complete packing of all non-essential items.
- Transfer prescriptions.
- Discontinue home delivery of newspapers, milk, etc.
1 Day Prior to Your Move
- Put aside a box or suitcase of essential items (soap, towels, bowls, spoons, clothes, etc.)
- Defrost freezers and drain gas from lawnmowers, snow blowers, etc.
- Clearly label all items not to be moved.
- Keep cash, jewelry, credit cards and checkbook with you.